CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, July 4, 2007

Independance Day

Exactly 14 years ago, I sat next to a lake on the campus of Teens Missions in Cocoa Beach Florida and watched the fireworks. As I sat, I got up the nerve to talk to one of our counselors about the decision I had made that evening during the program. Even after growing up in the church, I decided I hadn't really lived like I meant it. So I made the decision to re-commit myself to the walk of faith I thought I had been living. I've been questioning that walk ever since. Not in a bad way, mind you. I've simply been asking myself why I do what I do, say what I say and believe what I believe. And ever since that night, every July 4th, I watch the finale of the fireworks and think "God is celebrating with me." Tonight was no different. It was truly a Jersey Shore moment, we were watching from the docks, and when the finale ended, all the boat horns sounded in appreciation, and then someone cranked up Springsteen's "Born in the USA." And while I am glad to be celebrating the 231st birthday of my beloved country, I'm even more excited to be celebrating 14 years of glorious questioning. Because in my questioning I'm finding answers, and my answers lead to learning and knowing more. My father always asks, "Did you learn something new today? Then it's a good day." Happy Birthday America, here's to a good day!

0 comments: