CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, January 29, 2009

Home, Strange Home

So Steve has a way of reminding me where I'm from... in a good way. As you've read below (because I'm sure you've read all my posts, right?? You have, haven't you?? Come on, humor me...) I've been reading Prodigal God by Tim Keller. I'm in the section where the concept of 'home' really hits home.... Mr. Keller's point in the section I'm reading right now is that no matter what we think of as 'home', our memories can never be achieved, and even were we to go back in time to the actual occurrence of those memories, even that would be a shadow of the feeling. He posits this because as humans, we were made for fellowship with God, and our home was the Garden of Eden. Or more importantly, where God was. He poses the thought that we will never again feel that satisfying 'home' feeling until we are with God. Now, while I wholeheartedly agree with this thesis, Steve's facebook post to me this morning had me feeling more 'home' than I've felt in a long time. What was this miraculous post you ask? Steeler Ladies.
Now, I already was loving the original Beyonce song, although, since the teenager above me loves it as well and has a penchant for listening to it over and over again at 7am every morning, it's begun to wear on my nerves a bit. Today I got payback. I downloaded the Steel City version onto both of the laptops (Joe is not as thrilled that it's on his, as he's not a Steeler Lady), uploaded it my Ipod, and it is playing on seamless rotation as I type. Now, granted. I am a Steelers fan. A huge fan. I have a playlist of Steelers songs, including 3 versions of the polka. Some of the songs I have on the playlist on the laptop didn't even make it to the Ipod because they're from the Kordell era. I almost cut some songs from the 2005 Superbowl run because they refer to Plaxico. I don't like Plaxico. Now, I know that the song will eventually get old after listening to this latest version of Steeler Pride all day ,and I do mean all day. I took the Ipod to the office with me. (There was a brief amount of time where I listened to Rush. He's soothing. We've established this.) And I did listen to the Polamalu song a bit, some Paint it Black and Back in Black, but yes, mostly Steeler Ladies. Anywho, yes. It will eventually get old, but there is something hugely empowering about listening to this song and being able to parallel park in the city all while car dancing. (come on, you do it too, don't deny it. I SO know you do it!) The second verse is nice, yes, recounting all the players, and feeling cool because I know which players they're talking about. But strangely enough, its the first verse that's brought me back to myself. I'm not a typical lady. I certainly don't fit the mold of the fashonista NYC ladies. I'm from the midwest. I don't mind that it's 3 degrees. I'll wear another hoodie (preferably my big, comfy OSU one) I learned to yell at the refs from my dad. And while he doesn't have a Bradshaw jersey that I could swipe, I wear my Ward jersey(s) knowing one day they'll be there for my sweet little princess. But just because I'm from the midwest and have my 3 terrible towels, I can still be a city gal. I can parallel park pretty good, maybe even better than my dad. (I knew we'd turned a corner when the last time the folks were up to visit, dad declined the opportunity to drive, and let Joey chauffeur him around.) I can ride the subway, get in and out of a cab gracefully and run in 3 inch heels. Yet, just because God has moved me to New Jersey, I do not cease to be a midwest gal. I will sing along as Myron 'yoi's' his way through the polka. I will dance around the house to Steeler Ladies through Sunday, and beyond in the case of a win... because "i was raised this way, i know every play,...look at me now with my Terrible Towel." And I will dance the salsa the best I can, clap in latin rhythm at church and attempt the Wu Tang (as long as the New City Kids are doing it with me...) Just because my location of home has changed doesn't mean that all the things that went into me have to cease. "What we were plus what we are makes us Pittsburgh" This is the sum of me. Dancing in my jersey and enjoying every minute of it. Switchfoot, Style and Steeler Nation.... this is who I am.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'll be rooting for the Steelers this weekend. But I need a terrible towel.....

Jennifer said...

After the win against Baltimore, I started scouring the internet for Here We Go. While I could not find the current version, what I found was okay for my purpose. That's right ladies and gentlemen, I turned the chorus of Here We Go into the ringtone for my Crackberry. I hate to answer my phone because I want to hear more than, "Here we go."

PS I also turned the beginning and end of Wizard Needs Food, Badly into my txt msg notification. "Wizard needs food, badly. Wizard is about to die." hee hee

Jennifer said...

Ack! The MP3 is no longer downloadable!